Friday, August 17, 2012

Sepal's Job




 I love photographing flowers and the closer and I can get the better.



  Macro shots are the shots so close up that I get them by holding a magnifying glass to my short lens.






 I also love to get shots of flowers from unusual angles. 
What does the side of a bloom look like? 
  What about the underside?




I have lain on my back in a flowerbed just napping.
 No, just trying to get a glimpse (and a photo) of a blossom
 against the sunlit blue sky.













 Just trying to show how wonderful and beautiful every part of the flower is.

 A flower is like a family and the sepal like the mother. Sepals are the 
petal-colored or green sheaths that wrap around the bud of the flower. The sepal's job is to house and protect the growing bud. Gradually the sheath pulls back or is forced back as the bud develops into a bloom. Then the blossom is the beauty, the spectacular part. It is colorful and bright. The sepal meantime is supporting the weight of the blossom. The sepal spreads out like an open hand. It supports but does not grasp the bloom. The sepal connects the base of the flower to the top of the stem. Up through the stem comes water and food for the production of life in the flowers, for making pollen and growing seeds. The sepal's purpose changes. My job as mother changes. I should support my children with openness that allows growth and purpose and beauty to be attained while I help them connect to God. 

2 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful!!! Love the blog. Love the red!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots, Elece, and love the lesson you taught about mothering as well. I especially loved the photo just above your line about taking pictures from different angles.

    ReplyDelete