Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Peg in Holy Place

A Peg in a Holy Place
By Elece Hollis


When Ezra prayed he thanked God for giving the Jewish people grace for a "brief"moment and providing for them a "peg in His Holy Place." 

Through the King of Persia, the Jews had been given all that they needed to rebuild Solomon's Temple,which had been destroyed. 

 
I love that peg in His holy place phrase. It reminds me of the photographs I have seen of Shaker homes where the straight-backed chairs are hung on wooden pegs along the wall. Everything is simple and neat and clean and in place and all looks so peaceful. If we had such pegs I am certain I would be tempted to snatch up some rowdy children and hang them up by their belt loops and sashes.

I think of the rows of hooks that lined the outer hallway of my childhood school in Michigan where we hung our heavy overcoats and snow pants, scarves, hats and mittens on winter days to dry. We hurried inside the classrooms which were full of sunlight from the tall windows and warm from the radiators that lined the walls bringing heat up from the big coal furnace downstairs.



I have coat hooks in my own laundry room for hoodies, jackets, and sweaters. It's when you are home that you find "a place to hang your hat." 














For Aunt Bea, the hook on the back of the kitchen door was a place to hang her apron as she rushed off on some mission in Mayberry. A peg in a house symbolizes comfort and rest and security to us.

"A peg in His holy place," then can be a place to hang our hats spiritually, a place of refuge and where we find rest in the company of God. It's a place to be at peace with ourselves and the Lord and to be a part of His holiness, a recipient of His grace.

A peg in His holy place. how I do need it! A haven, a sweet place where I can pull off my heavy snow-laden overcoat and decide to stop struggling, competing and comparing myself to others. It's a place to lay aside cumbersome wraps that I try to protect and hide myself inside. 


It's a place where I can be secure in God's love and acceptance.It's a Just as I am without one plea sort of place.


Emotionally, spiritually safe at home in God's Holy place; with Ezra I say: Thank you, Lord for a peg in your holy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment